General Rug Cleaning Tips
- Rotate your rug every six months to reduce uneven wear and tear
- Use a rug pad to extend the life of your rug, prevent sliding and to protect your floors
- Have your rugs professionally cleaned every three to six years, depending on the level of use
- Lightly vacuum once or twice a week. Use the hard floor attachment and do not use a rotating or brush head vacuum. Do not not use a beater bar that can damage the pile or yarn of your rug.
- A good shake works well too.
General Cleaning for Wool and Cotton Rugs
(Always do a spot test on a small area before trying any of these!)
Here are some tips we have learnt over time. If in doubt always use a professional carpet cleaner.
The rug itself has been thoroughly washed a number of times in the final stage of rug making so will withstand mild cleaning.
- The most important thing with stains is time! The sooner you can attack and clean-up a spill the easier it will be to remove it without permanently staining the rug.
- Blot stains, don't rub them. Dab stains with a cleaning solution and a clean cloth, paper towels, or a sponge. Always blot from the outside of the stain inward, as blotting outward can spread the stain.
- Pro Tip: You can use shaving cream to remove almost any stain. Apply shaving cream to the stain and let it set for around 30 minutes, then blot it away with a white cloth. Finish by spraying the area with one part vinegar mixed with one part water and then wiping away the solution with a cloth. Use only plain, white shaving cream because it contains no dyes or greasy emollients, always spot-test a small area before treating a large stain to ensure the shaving cream won't damage or stain your rug.
- Greasy stains can be removed with a mild dish washing detergent. Just put a drop or two of dish washing detergent into a cup of water and put the solution into a spray bottle. Then simply spray directly onto the stain and blot away with a clean cloth.
CLEANING WASHABLE COTTON RUGS
Our cotton washable rugs can be washed in a domestic washing machine. Use cold setting and a delicate wash. Hang out to dry and vacuum as per normal to fluff up your rug. Make sure your machine is larger enough - space in the machine is required to give a good wash and not damage the fibres.
Larger cotton rugs may not fit in a domestic washing machine and can be taken to the laundromat or drycleaners.
For a list of laundromats in Australia visit our blog here.
Rug Sizes and Approximate Weights
Make sure your machine is large enough with space for your rug to move around.
Wash bath mats on their own as well.
120 x 180cm 3-4kgs - needs at least a 5-6kg machine
150 x 210cm -6-7kgs - needs at least a 9kg machine
200 x 300cm - 10-12kgs - needs at least a 15kg machine
If the fibres have balled up and look rough this means your machine is too small. Wash it again in a larger machine and the rug should spread out its fibres again and be all soft and fluffy. Placing your rug in a dryer on low setting will also help to fluff up the fibres.
VACUUMING THE WASHABLE RUGS
Be careful not to over vacuum thinking it will remove all the lint. Over vacuuming causes damage to the soft fibres. It is normal to experience some pilling initially but will settle. Vacuum only once a week and shake in between. Vacuuming more will not speed up the process.
They are a lightweight rug so vacuuming needs to be made in the same direction.
CLEANING YOUR WOOL RUG
Wool is naturally flame retardant and holds up well to daily wear and tear. Our rugs contain New Zealand wool giving it a soft and superior feel. Wool is naturally dirt and liquid repellant and is relatively easy to clean.
The cleaning of your rug:
Your rug will benefit from regular vacuuming and a shake to remove dust particles.
Your wool rug should not be used in wet areas.
If you happen to spill liquid we suggest you tap off the liquid as quickly as possible. Then using a damp cloth mop up any excess fluid in a dabbing motion. Soapy water can be used. Do not soak or rub violently but continue to dab until the stain is soaked up.
It is almost always best to engage the services of a professional carpet & upholstery cleaning company if the stain is stubborn or needs a thorough clean. To get a really expert job done entrust the work to a carpet cleaning company.
Tell your cleaner to use low water pressure and to clean on a non- porous surface in case of any colour leakage.
If you have any other concerns before you purchase we would be happy to answer them.
WE LOVE TO RECOMMEND PROTECT ME PRODUCTS !
Nano technology that will protect your rug and all textiles from liquid and spills. Washable also up to 30 times and environmentally friendly.
PROTECT ME PRODUCTS